Thursday, November 10, 2011

Happy Thank A Veteran Day! ! !

11-11-11


I love this Holiday! It is a day to say thank you to those who have served our country in times of war. It is a time to honor the living and the fallen. Shake a veterans hand and say Thank you for all you have done. They deserve your respect and your thanks!


If you have spent any time reading my blog, you know that I am patriotic! I love my country! I love the diversity here and the freedoms we enjoy. Although I may not be happy with our current president, I know how to be heard! VOTE! Many people around the world do not enjoy the many freedoms I have. I can choose my religion. I can choose what kind of education my children receive. We have so many freedoms in the USA that other countries can only dream about.
 
As a child, every year, we would pile into my grandmothers station wagon. We would dive the long drive to the state line. Veterans were bussed in from retirement homes. I remember the drive in cramped car more that I remember the ceremony. There was a stage set up, music, people making speeches and I think there was food.
 
I remember my grandfathers tears as he remembered his years as a soldier during WWII. His hands shook for days. In November, there is always work to be done on a farm and my grandfather was always up for the task. Even on Veterans day. The cows were milked, butter churned, hay bailed, garden hoed and harvested. But he made time to say thank you to those who served beside him. He cried for the men who didn’t make it that year. Fellow soldiers who lived a long hard life and were now buried in the federal cemetery beside the small park.
 
The many veterans in my family made sure the next generation understood what a soldier sacrifices and why they do what they do. I would sit and listen to war stories for hours. The older I got the more graphic the stories got. Landing on beach, the Battle of the Bulge, the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Stories of the cold war. Korea, Vietnam. Stories about battle field hospitals, battle ships, airplanes, tanks and foot soldiers. The list goes on and on. I remember being so proud of my military family.


This post is dedicated to veterans of the past and the present. To the veterans who are no longer with us and the veterans who continue to fight for our freedom. To my grandfathers, father, stepfather, uncles, aunts and cousins who have sacrificed so much for the United States of America.
 
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment