Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Court of Appeals

Life isn’t always fair. That is universally accepted. We learn this very sad fact when we are toddlers. And our chosen life style in of Domestic Discipline is not and exception to that rule. Sometimes he messes up and I get punished. Life isn’t fair.
 
Pout….
 
When we first started on our DD journey we didn’t talk about an appeals process. It wasn‘t discussed. We didn’t need to talk about it. It was already established in our house hold. Anytime a decision is made in our family, anyone can appeal it. From the very youngest member to the oldest. There are a few rules that go along with it.
 
1. The words “may I appeal” must be used before the argument is made

2. A respectful tone of voice will be used
3. No whining.
 
This process has gotten me out of several well deserved punishments. Every incident that comes to mind, I had earned punishment. One severe and another very mild. I made my argument, he considered all the facts and he gave me the gift of mercy.
 
A house full of teenagers, a date night intended to be relaxing, verbal reminders before swats. Would it be fair to be spanked in a house full of teenagers that aren’t mine?

Ok then, lets wait until after we get back from our date…

Um. I won’t have fun if I know I’ll be punished when we get home.

Ok then. Don’t let it happen again.
 
That was it. Over and done with. No spanking, no guilt and an evening out to enjoy.
 
I have a husband that looks at all sides of the issue. I don’t always agree with his decision but I know he considers my side of the story before the paddle is used.
 

9 comments:

  1. In my experience, the Court of Appeals rarely overturns your Judge's decision. How nice that you can make a brief statement and get him to reconsider on his own. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When both courts have the same judge my chances are slim. He is fair most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. once a decision is made its mde in my household, no overturning - unless its me being overturned on his knee lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We started using "may I appeal" with our children years ago. I can always tell my side of the story. Even after the decision is made, he may have over looked something. (like a house full of teenagers)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute!! Good for you! You have a fair-minded, generous hubby!! Something to be thankful for!!! lol

    Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm impressed. Not that I never get leniency but it's kind of rare. I too can make my case, unless it's defiance or disrespect-no wiggle room there. Oh and if it's breaking banking or computer rules..forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob, welcome to my little corner if the net. I have a great husband and I am very thankful he is mine! ! !

    Stormy,
    He has surprised me a couple of times. Letting me off the hook when I know I deserved a barn burner. I’ll take it when I can get it. Unfortunately a house full of teenagers wouldn’t stop him now. Nope. He would simply lead me to the “corner” in the garage. His chair and an oak paddle are sitting there waiting for me to mess up. And he would use the date night to pet me after it was over. What a change. He is a spanko now. No turning back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I like that idea VERY much! We sort of do that already sometimes, when allowed, but that way is so much better! I'm going to talk to Jay about instituting that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great that you have that option, because hey, lets face it, HOH's aren't always perfect...even if they want to think they are. From personnal experience I think a house full of teenagers should get you out of just about anything..short of murder...and I've had those thoughts too...JK!

    ReplyDelete