Friday, February 17, 2012

Submitting vs obedience

I have been thinking about the difference between these two words for a while now.  How are they different?  One word is give as a synonym for the other, yet still they remain two separate words.  Yes, this is going to be a short post.  I am sleepy.  Only an asthma attack has me awake right now.

Obedience is mentioned in the Bible in verses about children or slaves.  Obedience insinuates action on command.  Coerced by consequences and authority.  Do your chores or you don't get to watch South Park....  I am not a child or a slave.

So how does this apply to me, in my relationship with my husband?

Submission is mentioned in the Bible also.  This time it is a verse about a wife submitting to her husband.

Ok.  One talks about a child or slave.  The other talks about a husband and his wife.

HUGE DIFFERENCE! ! !

Submission is something given freely.  With no thought of consequences.  Without a threat hanging over her head, the wife willingly follows the husband.

A wife submits to her husband out of love and respect.  A child obeys his parents to avoid the consequences.  There is a huge difference here.  It has to do with growing up.  If you know your husband likes the bed made up every day, you do it out of love.  A child does it to avoid the time out corner or a switch.

Poorly written I know....  Blame it on being sleep deprived and an asthma attack that is making me dizzy.  I'll come back and proof read this latter.  If you have anything to add, I would love to see your comments! ! !  Those two little words are stumbling blocks for so many people.  It took me years to figure out what the words meant and even longer to find a way to explain it.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment