Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Meeting the Dragon

 
Ok
 
So I finally got it out.
 
My history.
 
What makes me seem a little strange to people who don‘t know. Why it is so hard to make friends.
 
How could a girl like that ever fall in love? I met the one person in this world I could learn to trust. Patient and kind.
 
I was a single mother just out of an abusive relationship. The ink of the divorce papers was still wet. The ex was still in jail where I put him. With a baby to support, my minimum wage job wasn’t enough. I had to make new opportunities for both of us. I loved helping people and blood didn’t bother me one bit. EMT school seemed a natural fit. I cut my hours at my restaurant job to go back to school. Orientation was the first week in September. I was more than ready to have a job that paid enough to buy groceries.
 
This guy was sitting on the other side of the class room. He was quiet and left me alone. Quiet and intent on the orientation. Another student kept trying to flirt with him. She was so forward that I figured they had to be an item. Nope. He only had eyes for me. He watched for a few days and listened. He discovered that my world revolved around my daughter and making a life for the two of us. I didn’t care much for men and wasn’t interested in dating.
 
I think he must have taken that as a challenge. For two weeks he have me is phone number every day of class. He couldn’t believe that I didn’t have a phone. I wasn’t about to use the phone next door to call him. Finally I decided to invite him to the house. Between school, working and a sick baby I was too tired to cut the grass. I need some help and he was the only one volunteering.
 
When he agreed to come over after he got off of work, I let a few people know I was expecting male company. My Biker Dude neighbor met him in the drive way. (just to make sure he wasn’t a threat and to make sure this boy knows where the real threat is!) Biker Dude was very protective of his young neighbor. He ran off all the men I tried to date, except this one.
 
I was surprised. Dragon didn’t run. He walked up to the door and rang the door bell. The grass didn’t get cut that day. We spent all day sitting on the couch getting to know each other. He figured out I had reason to be a man hater and I discovered that I wanted to know more about this guy I just couldn‘t bring myself to hate.
 
With time and patience, I began to trust him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment