Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A New Rule?

It looks like jeans will soon be a thing of the past in my little world.

You are a seamstress, an artist with fabric.  It is about time you look like it!  I am not buying you any more jeans for a while or pretty dresses.  Get in there and sew!  


His reasoning?  If I don't have jeans, I can't wear them.  Grrr.


You see, I love making beautiful things.....for other people.  I am so busy making other people smile that I end up looking like a mom.  Mom jeans, a baggy t shirt, pony tail and no make up.  Ok.  I look a little drab and sloppy.  I get that.

If I ever expect to make a living as a seamstress, I better start dressing better and not in store bought clothes.  How do I get orders for my corsets?  I wear them!  I show off my skill with a needle and when they ask where to get one, I reach for a business card.

I love sewing with and wearing natural fibers.  Wool, linen, cotton and silk.  Beautiful fabrics.  Soft, breathable.  Simply wonderful.  Rayon, I can tolerate in small amounts.

So what is Dragon doing?  Saving his pennies to buy me these expensive fabrics.  And I am to wear the things I make!  Silk to the grocery store?  To the zoo?

Why not?


I am a little flamboyant.  Not crazy with clothes and fashion but always a few years ahead of the current trends. He says, "dress the way you want to dress, wear the fabrics you love, be a trend setter!  People will buy the clothes you make!"  

No more frumpy Mom look for me.  It is either sew or go necked!  I think I am going to be busy!  Where will I be tomorrow?  Working in my sewing room is where!  Making a muslin for the outfit I just picked out fabric for!  $200 in silk! plus another $50 in linen!  I love the fabrics but WOW!  Just WOW!  I am going to be afraid to cut the pattern out!  What if I mess it up?  What if it looks awfullest?  Eeek!

He is the HOH and I am his wife.  Sometimes submitting to him is hard.  I have to design and wear the clothes I have only dreamed of.   Yikes!

Breath! ! !   I can do this... yes?

12 comments:

  1. Yes, you can do this. As someone who has sewn for years I appreciate the fact that fabric is more expensive than just popping into the local walmart (I refuse to capitalize that name) and picking up a shirt. BUT, there is nothing like knowing that YOU made this. And if it doesn't look good on you? ALTER IT GIRL...We have the skill and aren't afraid to use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fun! I'm sure you can do it.
    I bet it's going to be amazing!
    I'm just a beginner sewer here, so
    I'd love seeing some real work Dragons Rose. Post a pic of you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vixen. I am definitely making the muslin first on this one. Make all the alterations on the cotton before I ever buy the silk! I can't wait to get started! I just turned the heat on in my little sewing room! I just keep telling myself, "you can do this"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Emi, Dragon believes I can do it so it must be true, right? This will give me a chance to practice the new couture techniques I have been learning too. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this sounds like a great idea, both from a personal and a business perspective. One of the things my guy did early on was ban the old sweats and raggedy nightwear, and anything with holes or frays...he wanted me to dress for him at home like I do at work...like I care about me (and thus about him). It's been a good thing. How awesome that you have the skills you do! Maybe sometime you could post a few pictiures of your creations? Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, I have been working in my sewing room all morning! I am using a commercial pattern but altering it quite a lot! I think he means it this time. He has already told me he is buying the silk for the jacket first! Fun Fun!

    I know you are both right. It is good for both me and my business. Just a huge change.

    And yes, I will post pics! Thank you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sI can't sew more than a button, so kudo's to you. I can't wait to see the pics, and you will get used to dressing up on a regular basis pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. faerie, sewing is one of the few things I am good at. I do love dressing up. It is money that keeps me from doing it and no place to wear my nice clothes. Dragon is pushing but not too hard. Thank you for the encouraging words! It does help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm also crap at sewing etc but would love too, to see some pics of your creations :) Yes of course you can do it........ and I'll bet you'll feel even better when you're wearing what you've made too :)

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tx Dee

    Can you hear my relief from there? I have a little time here. I don't like any of the commercial patterns I can find for pants. He is going to give me time to learn how to draft my own. I can breath a little now. As long as I am working and learning I can still get a few store bought items. (and he doesn't want me working in the garden wearing silk. How do I spell relief? TIME

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for your blog. It has really been a Godsend. I read the entire thing today and was moved nearly to tears several times. There are so many things about the way I feel that I don't understand. I think your Blog may help me along the path to understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silly Girl. Thank you for the compliment! I am happy to hear my blog helped someone. Thank you so very much for saying something.

    ReplyDelete