Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ready...Set the timer.....MOVE....

If I had to rate my pain level when I woke up this morning, it would have been an 8.  I had a stretch of relatively pain free days.  This morning caught me by surprise.  My hip, hand and head.  I wanted to curl up in a dark room and wallow is self pity.  When it gets that bad, it is hard to function.  My leg doesn’t want to support me but it hurts to hold the walking stick.  Oh poor me.
 
A crash and burn day right? 

Nope.  I fixed a pot of coffee, ate some breakfast and set the timer.  5 min on the elliptical at a slow easy pace, stretches and a little yoga. Nothing high impact.  Just enough to say I moved today.  I set the timer again for 15 min and cleaned.  Yep.  I did house work with my pain levels so high.  The world doesn’t stop turning just because my body is screaming at me.

As long as I have the timer I think I can do it.  Little 15 min sprints and rest time.  Even if I can’t get much more done today, it hasn’t been a lost cause.  I got out of bed and moved.  My house is cleaner.  Laundry is done and the kids are doing their school work.  Mission accomplished.

I’m not sure how DD can help on days like today.  I just had to decide that the pain wasn’t going to keep me in bed all day.  Taking a guess here and this is just a guess.  I don’t think my Dragon would discipline me for staying still today.  But that wouldn’t accomplish anything.  It would feed the depression and my body would hurt even more. 

I have a few more things I want to get done today.  Just 15 min on each task.  I can do that much.  It is amazing what you can do in 15 min

Ready…..Set the timer…..MOVE(yes, I am a fluttering fly baby)  http://www.flylady.net/


Ps
I asked my husband for accountability with the house work.  I thought he would start with just a small task he wanted me to do every day.  But oh no.  He wants me to attack his “pet peeve” head on.  The kitchen.  Clean everyday when he gets home from work.  Empty dish washer, clean sink, counters cleared and floor swept and mopped.  How am I supposed to do that today?  He would understand if I skipped out on it today but what about tomorrow?  I better try to get something done in there today.  I don’t want to see his shoulders drop tonight. 

3 comments:

  1. A reasonable HoH, who receives a phone call or email or some such contact honestly explaining things, would most likely assess the situation and be gracious in his compassion. Dd isn't torture, it's love in action. Under the circumstances it sounds like you have accomplished quite a bit. What's great about this is that YOU want to get these things done. That says an awful lot of good things about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He knows how bad the pain gets. He can see it in my eyes even when I try to hide it from him. I think it scares him when I refuse to move. If I can move, he doesn’t worry so much. The kitchen isn’t perfect but it is improved. The living room is strait and I didn’t spend all day hiding under the covers. I’ll call today a success.
    Thanks B'man

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think today was a total success. You know why? Because you got out of bed and moved.

    Kudos to you girl. I know how it feels to try and move with pain. Here's hoping tomorrow will be better!

    ReplyDelete