Friday, January 7, 2011

Forever

We did things backwards. I had a job that kept me away from home for days at a time. I worked long hours for what seems like pennies now. I wanted to be at home. The problem is that I didn’t want a man to ever support me. We struck a deal that ended with us in the court house. We were dressed in our very best clothes. Both of us terrified. We eloped on a warm September afternoon and the justice of the piece did the deed. We were married. We had the big wedding Jan 7 1995. It feels like just yesterday but seems like an eternity.

We have made it last. Not for the kids but for us. Life without him would be too lonely, too miserable. I don’t even want to think about it. When we took that final step we set a goal. We want to celebrate our 75 anniversary. We have many years to go. When you take that vow it should be forever. We have had for better and for worse. We have had in sickness and in health. We are still together. No one told us how bad worse could get.

A few years ago trust was broken. I didn’t know if my heart would ever heal. Did the “D” word come to mind? Yes it did but it quickly left. As much as it hurt to be with him, it would have hurt more to be without him. We started dating. We acted like we were 20 years old all over again. Meeting for the first time. We had a first date, a first kiss. We held hands and talked about the future. Worse hurts but we made it. And now we are closer than ever.

Today is our anniversary and it will look like every other day. Filled with responsibilities. We won’t have a date night. Instead we will do our civic duty. When the sun goes down and the kids are in bed, we will open a cheap bottle of champaign and share a toast. When I get off the computer to clean the kitchen, I will take our wedding glasses off the top shelf, wash them carefully and have them ready. Tonight we will celebrate US.

Each day is a gift from God. Every day I have with my husband is precious. The hard times have made us stronger. They remind us to look to God for guidance and to hold each other close. We have made it one more year. May we have many more years together.

4 comments:

  1. I messed up. I sat down and wrote a letter for him today. I can't whine or make excuses when I write. I went back to the way it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missie,
    I think you love him unconditionally, and that's the foundation of a good marriage. I don't understand your comment, but I hope everything is ok. Email me if you need to butterflykady@rocketmail.com.

    Hugs,
    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kady
    I forgot a major rule. This one was not written my my Dragon. This one is in the Book. "Love is not Rude" I kept making excuses instead of doing what needed to be done. I have asked for forgiveness and made things as right as I can. Lesson learned until next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missie, we all get a little rude sometimes. We all regress. Part of the beauty of DD is that an issue is dealt with and we move on. We don't hang onto guilt. Was there a spanking for this??? If so, was it actually long enough that it served its cleansing purpose? Whatever the case, when the issue is resolved, you confess, he forgives, and then YOU MUST FORGIVE YOURSELF. Yes, you will slip again, but over time, it will become less often. Also, maybe you need to talk. Maybe there shouldn't be so much room for excuses? Maybe it should be nipped in the bud early on???? Don't know if this helped any, but keep communicating and you will get there.

    Hugs,
    Kady

    ReplyDelete