Friday, September 16, 2011

Living 15 Minutes at aTime

Our schedule is hectic. Dragon is taking some classes in addition to working full time and local volunteer work. The kids play sports and home school is in full swing. I am dealing with a spiteful teen who doesn’t want to live at home but dearly wants the coveted high school diploma. It is enough to send any self-respecting lady scrambling for the nearest hiding place.

Yes, TTWD is still part of our home. A big part but with so much going on, it is limited to quiet warnings and the evil glair. He is gone more than he is home right now. Dragon comes home, eats supper, studies for a few hours and starts snoring before he falls into bed. Add to that, this week is a 12 day work week.
 
I can’t ask him for help with the kids or Mt Never-Rest. I can’t ask him for help with the anxiety building in my stomach. I have what feels like a permanent case of indigestion.
 
So……
 
Where does that leave me? With Fly Lady. She is an angel in this house. I can’t do the routines she has on her page but I can modify them. “Anything can be done in 15 minutes. “ Is one of my favorite Fly sayings. “Perfectionism is a disease.” is the other.
 
I can’t work for long periods of time. My health just won’t allow me to have a cleaning day. I have to break things down into 15 minute fly mission and 30 minute breaks. Those are the magic numbers for me. And since I expect the kids to spend 45 minutes per subject that works out perfectly. Everything is based on having a routine and not being a perfectionist about it.
 
Routine and timer. I can do that. Easy. It is the perfectionist part that gets me.
 
I can do this.
 
Breath.
 
It only takes one step to walk a thousand miles. I only have to think about the next step in my day not the million or so things on my to do list.
 
Ready?
 
Set the timer!
 
MOVE! ! ! !

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you sound so very busy! Homeschooling is hard work to begin with. Even in perfect health, I'm amazed when women can also keep their home under control. I've heard about fly lady...will go check it out. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie
    I would be lost without fly lady. I don’t keep up with it very good but I do try. All the kids are old enough to help out and they help each other. Even the stinky attitude teenager. I just have to remember to set the timer and MOVE! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flylady is amazing! I love her philosophy of 15 minutes at a time, and "You aren't behind; jump right in!" Do what you can, when you can, and it eventually gets done.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hermione, I couldn’t survive without her. I am a fluttering fly baby. One of these days I will learn how to use my wings and fly. Life 15 minutes at a time is so much easier to tackle than an entire day! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete