Sunday, January 28, 2018

Food

Food seems to be my enemy.  Every time I eat I get sick.  If I eat the whole foods I love I'm fine but nothing processed.  The only common food we could come up with was bread. 

I feel like I am following a fad but I am trying to go gluten free for a few weeks to see if it helps. 

Things I have discovered
* Gluten free bread is nasty
* Gluten free does not mean allergen free
   (The breakfasts muffins gave me hives)
* Gluten is in more foods than I realized.
* Reading every label is a pain in the backside.

Don't know if it is working or not.  I'm still finding gluten in food after I eat it. Oops

Another food we can try to eliminate is soy.  That one is even harder but we are trying soy first. 

* it is helpful to list foods I can have.
*  If I list foods I can't have, I start feeling deprived. 

Fingers crossed. We need answers.

7 comments:

  1. I agree gluten free bread does suck - I've tried most of them and it's better going without. I'm slightly allergic to soy, but almond milk, flour, etc. seem to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh! It isn't bad if I make French toast. Unfortunately almonds are a food pollen allergy. Coconut milk is yummy. I'm still trying to find an alternative to flower I can live with.

      Delete
  2. Lindy from Dreaming DownUnder and Terps from A Place to Share both have someone in their home with gluten issues. Maybe they would be good resources for you. I also believe Blondie at Blondie's Blog may have some suggestions.

    Good luck!
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I haven't visited their blogs but I will! I forgot and ate a gluten filled late night snack. I didn't even realize it until I made the mad dash for the bathroom. It is helping. I just haven't figured out how to get all the gluten out of my diet yet.

      Delete
  3. Schar gluten free white bread is the best tasting gluten free bread and is made, in part, with sour dough. I order it online for a family member all the time. All other gf breads are disgusting. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally found a bread that is okay. I even found a pizza place that serves decent gluten free pizza. I'll see if I can find the sour dough bread. I am always looking for better options.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Anonymous up there about the Schar gluten free white bread being the best tasting... all the other stuff is disgusting in my kid's opinion.... has to avoid gluten as well. I know the rice crackers of which you speak as the kid was consuming a lot of those at the beginning.... and has now found healthier alternatives. We make French toast with that bread.... and organic quinoa is very healthy. Also, we make our own coconut milk because unless you have a Trader Joe's around to get the Light Coconut milk (we do not have one), all the coconut milk is way too fatty for the kid's stomach and has some unhealthy additives. I will end this comment with the fact that Bone Broth heals the stomach lining and is so very good for us in many ways. Again, we make our own from an organic chicken.... and add some collagen to it.... it is an easy thing to make .... more challenging to freeze.... we use ice cube trays. Best wishes!

      Delete