Thursday, May 26, 2011

Some Have Given All

Why is there even Memorial day? When I first moved to the north west I was disturbed that the cemetaries had no flowers. Then I find out that they call Memorial day, decorating day. They go out and put flowers on everybody’s grave. No mention of what the day really means. No one cares. For some it is a time to party, get drunk, cook out on the grill, have that family reunion.

Where did the true meaning of Memorial Day go? Is it completely forgotten? I think most people do remember and spend maybe five minutes of the day thinking about those who died for their freedom. The problem is that many people don’t know or just don’t care.

My challenge to you this Memorial Day weekend, take a few minutes to remember the fallen and thank a veteran for their sacrifice.
 
In-Law visit for the next week. Wish me luck, patience and a pillow to cover my sore backside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZf619DIpo&feature=related

3 comments:

  1. Missie,
    I grew up in the South, and we had Decoration Day as well. I remember going to a relative's house and it was like a family reunion. I only saw these people once a year, but everyone took flowers and put on the deceased family member's graves.

    I never knew the connection growing up to the sacrfices made so that I could continue to have my freedom, but I am so blessed to live where others have given their lives that we can continue to be a free nation.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Missie.

    My hubby and I are very cognizent of the day and the sacrifices some have made. It has meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for taking the time to honor those who have given everything they have to give. It only takes a moment to bow your head and pray.

    ReplyDelete