Saturday, February 26, 2011

Comfort

Dragon is home for 2 weeks. He needs the time to recover and heal. All great and good right? I get a break from ttwd. NOPE. He is still in charge. In sneak attack form but still there. A bubble bath to pamper his worried wife and a few swats to reassure me that he is still on the job.

“I may have one arm in a sling but I still have a free hand to take care of my wife.”

I don’t know how that is a comfort but it is. Knowing he is still watching out for me and still firmly in his place as HOH. I watch him struggle with everyday things. Dressing himself, his home program for physical therapy, doing the things he does around the house to take care of us. I want to step up and take over. I want to take care of him but he has other ideas. Doing things for himself is his way of healing. Preserving his independence and getting back to day to day life. I understand but it is hard. Watching him struggle, seeing his pain. If I could take it away, I would.

I finally got to read the book I bought for the waiting room at the hospital. “The Reluctant Prophet” I cried while I read. It is a story about faith and following Jesus. It is the way I see Christianity, not the way most people do. It was a relief to see it in words. Uncomfortable faith. Reaching out to the prostitutes, the homeless, the hungry. I’m not in a position right now to do much but we still do what we can. I don’t tithe to a church. Since I don’t go to one, that isn’t a problem. When I have a little extra, it goes to those in need. It is hart to tell someone that Jesus loves them when they are hungry. With a full belly, it is much easier to feed them the word of God.

Another sigh of relief and happy tears came after I talked to my oldest daughter. I have always planned to change my will when she turned 18 and put her as primary guardian of her siblings if something were to happen to both of us. I didn’t want to change the will before talking to her. Her response surprised me.


“Mom, an aunt, uncle or grand parent isn’t going to love them as much as I do. The way I see it, I have to. I love them to much to leave them with anyone else.”

I had a good cry over the book. Sad tears. Then happy tears after I heard my daughter's words. Yesterday was a day for tears. I am one proud mom right about now.

My husband is still HOH and I know my kids will be in good hands if something ever happens to us. I can sleep good. All is safe and secure.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, how wonderful. Sounds like you raised a wonderful daughter with great values. Also sounds like you have a strong husband who stays strong no matter what. I know you want to help him, but that's gotta be a little comforting knowing how strong and controlled and in charge he is. I think that's just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cedeno
    I do have a great family. Thanks. Knowing that I have them I can sleep at night. I'm still worried about my husband so keep the prayers coming.

    ReplyDelete