Monday, December 4, 2017

Pumping Gas

Dragon is on some heavy duty pain relievers.  All 4 of his prescriptions have driving warnings.  Since he can't stand to go even 30 minutes past a dose, he is home from work.  No driving, no work.

Sunday morning I had to stop for gas.  I started to unbuckle my seatbelt but he was out and around the car before I even got my hand on the buckle.  He's fast!

He hates it that I have to pump my own gas most of the time.

Years ago I dropped him off at the airport in Boise Idaho for a deployment.  Not a danger deployment this time.  He didn't return to Afghanistan.  But traffic had us running late and I had to fill up the tank right after I dropped him off. 

I stood there with the nozzle in my hand, crying for 5 minutes before someone decided to help me.  I couldn't figure out how to pump the gas.  This was the first deployment since Afghanistan.

I honestly hadn't pumped gas since he returned and I couldn't figure out anything.  The pumps had changed in the year and a half since he had been back.   For me, it was heartbreaking. His newest deployment became real in that moment. 

I don't know why but seeing him rush around the car to beat me to the pump brought that memory back. 

I don't know the young man that helped me that day but I am forever grateful.

2 comments:

  1. What a bittersweet memory, Rose. SO happy that Dragon is home for good. Sending prayers and positive energy that he heals soon.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another doctor's appointment today and no help. It was pointless. Maybe next week?

      Delete