Thursday, June 6, 2013

June 6, 1944

Do you know why this is an important date in world history?

 I do.

 With a house full of history buffs it is impossible for me to forget but no one has mentioned it yet.

 Today is D Day. 160,000 Allied Troops landed on the beaches of France in the fight against Nazi Germany.

Both of my Grandfathers fought in that war so very long ago. Grampa was a foot soldier in the infantry. Pappaw was a load master in the Army Air Corps before we had the Air Force. Grampa's sister was an Army nurse and my grandmother worked at the Pentagon transcribing letters from the troops to families back home. Opsec was that important. One of Pappaw's brothers was a translator and a life long officer. I am not sure what Pappaw's youngest brother did but I know his PTSD was worse than all the others.

Dragon has a great uncle that landed on the beaches of Normandy. His grandfather served 12 years. No draft dodgers there. Another uncle served in the Navy in the pacific front.

We both came from a long line of men who served their country. Is it any surprise that we continued the tradition? There aren't very many WW II veterans left. Please remember to honor them today. Their entire generation sacrificed for the freedom we enjoy today.

My Father served during the Vietnam conflict in the Navy and my step father served in both the Vietnam conflict and the Korean war in the Army. Both are gone now. Cancer took them both way too young. My Dragon has served in the war against terrorism in the Air force for 20 years. I have seen the damage and lasting scars war leaves. Honor the men and women who have served. They have given more than just time.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Dragon and Dragon's Rose and your families for their service to our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this.
    Men and women in the armed forces have my deepest gratitude and respect. I'm so very thankful for their service and sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the sweet reminder - this is personal for so many families and has far reaching benefits for our whole country. These amazing people should never be forgotten or overlooked. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right!! My grandfather is a vet, too. I love seeing his army picture on my grandparent's dresser when I visit their home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let none be forgotten indeed

    ReplyDelete